There are some rumours on the grapevine that calls to
gconf on Linux on later gnome would somehow “bust it”, if installed.
We need to:
- Get more details to know if this is an issue
- If so, we should remove the use of calls to
gconf, and solely use
- removal from shellservice
- removal from system proxy
- removal from accessibility
- then removing the
Preliminary research shows that
gsettings should be available in all the versions of glib we support, and goes back as far as MATE and Cinnamon, so it should cover all sane environments and won’t result in loss of functionality on all reasonably-supported target OSes.
Ref BZ 1433685 and dependent bugs listed.